Most upvoted comment
Gamers of reddit, what game will you suggest to someone who has a less powerful computer?(r/AskReddit)
[Free] Transformice, just for funnies
Old School Classic RPGSBaldur’s Gate 1 and Baldur’s Gate 2, Morrowind, KotOR, KotOR 2, Deus Ex, the original Guild Wars, RuneScape and RuneScape 2007 (recommended by /u/andreniggy), Heroes of Might & Magic and Heroes of Might & Magic II and Heroes of Might & Magic III, all recommended by /u/Humankeg), Shovel Knight (recommended by /u/KarlMrax), VVVVVV (by hugely popular demand), Super Meat Boy (recommended by /u/Adsefer), Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 (both by popular demand)
- Modern indie 2D games such as FTL: Faster Than Light, Spelunky, Terraria, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Mark of the Ninja (recommended by /u/athrowawayaccountnot), Bastion (it’s on sale for 75% off on Steam right now as well!), Transistor (recommended by /u/GenSec), Sunless Sea (recommended by /u/fishofthestyx), Hotline Miami Hotline Miami 2 (recommended by /u/ImAVampiahImAVampiah) /u/whitepaddedwalls, Risk of Rain, Vagante and Darkest Dungeon, Don’t Starve (recommended by /u/thejoshums), Scribblenauts Unlimited (recommended by my friend HellHoundWarrior), Cave Story (recommended by /u/SpeaksToWeasels)
- the various classic roguelike games, all of which are available freely (ToME has a Steam version which is the “donator” version, just has a few extra perks for supporting the game but that’s it) Tale’s of Maj’Eyal (ToME) and ToME on Steam, Dwarf Fortress (WARNING: it CAN be a CPU and RAM hog, so this depends), Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Brogue, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (recommended by /u/nothingwittyisleft), DoomRL (recommended by /u/PapaBradford), Angband (recommended by /u/irumeru), and Nethack, Dungeons of Dredmor (recommended by /u/Musadir), ADOM (recommended by /u/Gemkingnike)
- X3: Reunion, X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude ran good for me on an integrated graphics laptop I used to use.
- And some open-source free ones that I used to play on a laptop with integrated graphics. Oolite, an open source remake of the original Elite; OpenTTD, a remake/update/continuation of Transport Tycoon Deluxe; Pioneer, a remake/update of Frontier: Elite 2.
- Edit: at the suggestion of /u/RowanV322, I’ve added the VALVE games (duh, didn’t occur to me how efficient Source really is, and I play a lot of VALVE stuff). Team Fortress 2 for a unique, massively popular and fair (and free!) first person shooter; Portal 2 for an amazing first-person puzzler that has fantastic humor, an amazing story, infinite community content and you can play solo or with a friend; the original Portal, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive the OTHER super popular FPS from VALVE, the latest in the critically-acclaimed Counter-Strike franchise of tactical FPSes; Left 4 Dead 2, a co-op zombie survival FPS; Dota 2, quite possibly one of the most popular (by concurrent players) game ever made (by concurrent playercounter at least); Black Mesa a remake/update of the super famous Half-Life; Garry’s Mod, and finally, Half-Life 2.
- Edit 2: Also, at the request of /u/AmericanFromAsia Mount & Blade: Warband (gosh no other game has made me ragequit so damn much, but I love it)
- Edit 3: RTS/Strategy/Building games: /u/jb34304 suggested Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2 (currently it’s free on Origin at that link, go check it out :D) also on the same thing, I would personally like to add a few more old RTSes: Dawn of War 1 and Warcraft 3 (thanks to /u/Bejn_ for the link) Also, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (recommended by /u/a_pretty_blueberry), Age of Empires II, Europa Universalis IV, Hearts of Iron III (recommended by /u/cyka__blyat), Age of Mythology (recommended by /u/kurosaki004), Roller Coaster Tycoon (recommended by /u/kurosaki004), Civ 3, Civ 4, Civ 5 **
- Shooters: my friend HellHoundWarrior (who has confirmed potato computer) also recommends Unturned, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Killing Floor Crysis (original), DeadCore, a first-person puzzle-platformer with a lot of replayability and secrets is also an indie game I’d recommend. HellHound, with his PotatOS system, was able to play Battlefield Bad Company 2, that still has an active community, so if you like FPSes look into that. Postal 2 (recommended by /u/SuperShake66652, it’s on sale for $0.99 right now as well!); Bioshock (recommended by /u/Omahunek)
- Open World games, **Fallout 3 (recommended by /u/phatmanrunning), Fallout: New Vegas
Edit 4: adding even more requests to the existing categories.
- Edit 5: I’m trying to keep up!
- Edit 6: RIP my fingersAudiosurf 2.**
- More by popular demand: League of Legends
- Edit 7: Bonus: games that work on Linux for you Linux gamers out there. Terraria, Oolite, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, OpenTTD, X3: Reunion, X3: Terran Conflict and X3: Albion Prelude, Tale’s of Maj’Eyal (ToME)(free version) and ToME on Steam (donator version)
- Edit: Finally finished the reformatting and categorization
I hope this helps 😀
Edit: Thanks so much for the gold! 😀