Most upvoted comment
What are the best/reddit’s favorite uses for Rasberry Pi?(r/gadgets)
My curtains open automatically in the morning when my alarm clock goes off.
Not strictly the raspberry pi, but the pi is an integral part of my setup.
- I have this curtain rod: www.amazon.com/International-Center-Opening-Telesc…
This allows me to remotely open/close the blinds using IR
- I also have this device (connected to the pi): www.amazon.com/HP-Remote-receiver-paintbrush-Disco…
This allows me to send IR commands from the pi to the curtains (or anything else that uses IR)
- On my phone I have this application: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisc…
This allows me to have my phone automatically do stuff when it detects that my alarm clock is going off.
- Around 6:40 my alarm goes off.
- Tasker receives a notification from the operating system that this is happening.
- Tasker is setup to send and HTTP Get request to bedroomPi.local/open_curtains.html when it receives this notification
- open_curtains.html on the pi contains a line of php which fires of a shell script called open_curtains.sh
- open curtains.sh tells the remote to send an IR packet containing the open command (using a program called LIRC)
- the curtains receive this IR packet and begin to open
- I am annoyed by how bright the sun is until I am forced to get out of bed